Monday, September 11, 2006

Julie, I am listening

In today's Reader's Forum in the Deseret Morning News I read about a woman's plea for help. She said,

Who will listen to teachers?
I just came home after
working five hours overtime without pay. I'll likely do the same tomorrow, and
the next day, which is often my routine. Why? Because with 240 students in my
English classes, overtime is unavoidable to grade all the papers and
tests. Of my six classes, five exceed 40 students. I've no
doubt someone else out there in Utah's public schools can top me.
I'm not sure why we Utahns are putting up with these grievous
circumstances. We say we want smaller classes. We say we're willing to pay more
taxes to get them. We recognize that too many students means kids don't get the
attention and help they need. And yet, each year, it's the same situation. I
already know who is not listening to us. What I want to know is, who will?


Julie Parkin

Salt Lake City

We need change. The status quo's power hierarchy is ignoring those of us who want to invest in education and our future. Lets band together and get change in November.

Christian

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home